This is a recipe I picked up years ago at a cookie exchange my neighbor hosted. We've tweaked it a bit over the years and made it our own. These cracked, sugar-covered cookies are perfect for fall and the holiday season!
For my family, baking goodies is also valuable time spent together. There are always at least a couple of willing helpers in the kitchen, and this is one of their favorite recipes to make. Enjoy!
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1. Heat oven to 375°
2. Mix brown sugar, shortening, egg and molasses in a bowl.
3. Mix in remaining ingredients except for the granulated sugar.
4. Shape dough into 1" balls and roll around in granulated sugar until covered.
5. Place dough balls about 3" apart on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes until cracked and golden brown.
7. After 1-2 minutes, remove from cookie sheet and place on cooling rack.
*Makes about 4 dozen